I am a firm believer in starting the week off with a delicious, comforting meal and a few glasses of wine, especially when it can be shared with friends and family. Lately I have been trying to cook new dishes and widen the array of food that I am comfortable preparing. But last night I wanted to make two dishes that I have been eating for as long as I can remember. My grandfather always used to grow rhubarb in the garden at my grandparents' house on Long Island. I remember him bringing in the pretty red stalks, which reminded me of celery, and giving them to my grandmother who would created fabulous deserts with the bitter vegetable. One of the things she would always make was strawberry rhubarb sauce. This is where I got my inspiration to make strawberry rhubarb pie yesterday afternoon.
I started with a simple pie crust and mixed together:
2 1/2 cups of chopped rhubarb
2 1/2 cups of sliced strawberries
1 tbsp. lemon zest tbsp
2 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tbsp. flour
2 tbsp. instant tapioca
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
After mixing together all of the ingredients I was ready to fill my pie crust.
After filling the crust, I broke up 2 tablespoons of butter and dropped them over the top. I was then ready to cover the pie with the second crust and pinch the sides, sealing in the delicious filling. I cut two slits in the middle of the top crust and brushed it with egg white.
I put the pie in a 425 degree oven for 15 minutes. Then, I lowered the oven to 375 and baked it for another 40 minutes until the inside was bubbling.
By 4 o'clock on a Sunday afternoon I had finished baking a pie, almost won a game of Scrabble, and had marinated my mother's famous Chicken with Capers and Olives. It is a rendition on Chicken Marbella from the staple Silver Palate cook book. I have never even looked at the original recipe, I only know it from watching my mother prepare it at least once a month for many years. She doesn't measure a thing but simply mixes all the ingredients together and allows the chicken to marinate for several hours before baking. The ingredients that are mixed together with the chicken. They are as follows:
Olive Oil
Red wine vinegar
lots of Oregeno
Dry white wine
salt
pepper
Bay leaves
Pitted green Spanish olives (my family loves them so we use a ton)
Capers (my family also loves these so we put a lot in)
After the chicken marinated for a few hours, I arranged it in a roasting pan with all of the olives and marinade. I then added 1 cup of dry white wine and topped each piece of chicken with a spoonful of brown sugar. The dish was placed in a 375 degree oven for an hour and a half--until cooked through and browned on top.
___________________________________________________
___________________________________________________
I served this dish with some simple rice pilaf and a green salad for dinner. Then my guests and I had the strawberry rhubarb pie accompanied by vanilla ice cream! It was a very delicious way to end the weekend and prepare for the busy week ahead.
My first blog entry is now complete, which I am very proud of because the idea of having a blog scared me. I was able to write about dinner last night while eating the leftover chicken and pie for lunch today. I now see how easy it is for me to blog and I hope you all enjoy reading about my food adventures!








Rachel you are the best. Will definitely try the chicken as soon ad I get home.
ReplyDeletei just got so hungry! Such a good cook and good job on the blogging. Blogger. I approve strongly.
ReplyDeleteRhubarb as a vegetable we have for dessert; tomatoes as a fruit that we have with our main course. The world of food is fascinating, and your descriptions and recipes make clear that you enjoy exploring the possibilities -- and then delighting our taste buds with the delicious results. Keep up your creativity, cooking and commentary!
ReplyDeleteMichael (Dad)
Great work! I love the new blog -your writing is easy to follow and interesting! Did Michael (Hession) tell you that we used to grow rhubarb in our garden? I am going to save this blog to my list.
ReplyDelete:-) Buffy
Rachel, this is so beautiful. Our values of home, family, and friends come through so clearly with your good writing and delicious food. I can't wait to see what's next. Grandpa would have loved this!
ReplyDeleteMom
I had some. It was deeeelish
ReplyDeletemmmmmm, I know the chicken dish and I am now craving some, even though it is only 6 am. Great fun to read, Rachel. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteKaren (VT)
My knives are sharp and ready to go.
ReplyDelete