Sunday, May 23, 2010

Cooking with and Drinking Belgian Beer

On a recent trip to New York, while staying with my aunt and uncle I discovered an article in Bon Appetit about Belgian beer in New York City. My uncle Alan loves Belgian beer. He has quite the collection of glasses, as the type and shape of a glass is an important aspect of drinking Belgian beer. So it was very appropriate that I found this article, and while I was there I got to sample some Belgian beer called Leffe. This reminded me of the braised short ribs that my mother once made using Belgian beer, a recipe Alan had passed along to her. I decided to cook these short ribs last night. They were delicious and tender, the meat falling right off the bone. When I emailed Alan about my success he told me that the recipe was a variation of Tom Valenti’s standard short ribs made with beef broth. The Belgian beer in this variation gives such a nice flavor. At our supermarket in San Francisco they did not have Leffe beer, but after a quick consultation with Alan I chose a Chimay.



Alan’s Belgian Beer Braised Short Ribs


6 pounds short ribs (about 6 pieces)

coarse salt

freshly ground black pepper

garlic powder

¼ cup olive oil

1 medium Spanish onion, peeled and coarsely chopped

3 sticks celery, coarsely chopped

1 carrot peeled and coarsely chopped

8 cloves garlic smashed and peeled

2 cups Belgian Beer (Leffe)

9 cups store bought beef broth

3 sprigs thyme

1 bay leaf


*original recipe but I only made 4 short ribs so I reduced everything a little plus I used my dutch oven instead of a roasting pan.


The day before cooking, season the ribs with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Cover with saran and refrigerate overnight (not absolutely necessary if you don’t have the time the day before but does taste better.)


Preheat the oven to 325 F.


Heat the olive oil in a large roasting pan over medium high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the ribs and brown them on all sides, about 1 minute per side (usually takes a little longer.) Remove from pan and set aside.



Discard all but 2 tablespoons fat from pan. (If butcher does a good job, you won’t have anything to discard) Add the onion, celery, carrot and garlic to the pan. Cook, stirring often until lightly browned, about 8 minutes.


Add the beer, broth, thyme and bay leaf. Bring to a boil over high heat.


Return the ribs to the pan, cover with aluminum foil and braise in the oven for 1 hour. Remove the aluminum foil and cook for 3 more hours or until the meat is very tender and falling off the bone.



To serve, remove the ribs from the braising liquid and divide among 6 warm shallow bowls or plates. (leave the bone, it makes for a dramatic presentation.) Strain the braising liquid, discarding the solids. Skim off and discard the fat from the liquid and pass as a sauce at the table.


I served the short ribs on top of egg noodles mixed with some butter, salt, and pepper. The noodles absorbed the gravy very nicely and I thought it was a good pairing. I also think they would go well with mashed or roasted potatoes. I know they take a long time to cook, but they are so worth it!


__________________________________________________


__________________________________________________

2 comments:

  1. I am in bed and I am hungry after reading this! Great photos Mike! I am definitely going to make this for the Memoral Day weekend. We are having a lot of company and I always have a case of Leffe in the cellar for emergency use as needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely moving this from mid-winter comfort food to late spring/must make it right now! It looks fabulous - and it reminds me that I owe Alan a Leffe glass, although with this pairing, I bet the Chimay tasted great right out of the bottle.

    ReplyDelete